Artist Elizabeth R. Whelan invites you to enter the Martha’s Vineyard Drawing Prize, a competition established to encourage the pursuit of excellence in drawing.
• Entries may be created using graphite, charcoal, Conté, silverpoint, pen & ink, colored pencil, chalk, or other suitable drawing media, on paper or board.
• Each artist may submit up to 3 works for the $10 fee.
• Categories of drawing can include academic, realistic, abstract, contemporary, fantasy, historic, etc.
• The theme for the 2021 competition is 'Questions'. (See 2021 Theme page for more information.)
• All work must be original in concept, and created by the entrant after January 1, 2019. Drawings created in classes or workshops are not accepted.
• Submitted images of work must represent its true appearance and not be altered digitally.
• Artist must be 18 years of age and older.
• Artist must be a resident of the USA or Canada.
• This is an online-only competition, so there's no need to frame or send in your artwork. For that reason, please take professional-quality photos of your artwork.
• Submissions must be entered through the Call for Entry website by September 27, 2021. (See FAQ page for information about how to submit your work if you have not used this site before.)
The competition will be judged by a gallery director, a collector, and an artist. Different jurors are selected each year.
The jury will deliberate September 28 – October 4, 2021.
The jury will make the final decision, and will not engage in communication about their choices.
Elizabeth R. Whelan, who is hosting the competition, is pleased to offer $1,500 in cash awards this year. Additionally, 4 Juror's Prizes will be presented.
1st Place $700
2nd Place $500
3rd Place $300
Prizes and awards will be announced October 5, 2021 by email, and posted on the Martha’s Vineyard Drawing Prize website.
The finalists’ work will be displayed on the Martha’s Vineyard Drawing Prize website for one year, including biographic information and links to their websites/social media.
The entry fee is $10, and up to 3 works may be submitted for that fee.
Fees must be paid by credit card or PayPal through the Call for Entry website payment platforms.
The entry fee is not refundable, nor will it be pro-rated if less than 3 works are submitted or selected.
Artwork images for submission:
Images must be professional in quality – no informal shots, please.
Please provide high-resolution jpeg images only, fitting within the Call for Entry website image requirements:
- File Type: JPEG or JPG only
- File Dimensions: 1,200 pixels or greater on the longest side
- File Size: Under 5 MB